If you love a custom party like I do, or you’ve viewed some of my Party Decor Tutorial Videos, then you probably love DIY decorations as much as I do! And cupcake toppers are one of my favorites. Cupcake toppers with your theme on them is the icing on the cupcake! And of course, if you have a Cricut cutting machine, then I’m sure you’re excited to decorate all your parties with DIY decor. So let’s talk about How to Make Cupcake Toppers with Your Cricut.
Please note, this page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. For additional information, please see my privacy and disclosures page.
If you’ve been to my Etsy Shop, for example, or created a custom party with me, then you know cupcake toppers are a fun way to include your theme in your decorations.
What You’ll Need to Make Cupcake Toppers With Your Cricut
Firstly, here’s what you’ll need to have in order to make these cupcake toppers with your Cricut.
- A Cricut or another cutting machine, like the Silhouette.
- A PNG or SVG Circle or Cupcake Topper like one from my Etsy shop.
- High quality printer paper to print and cut your image.
- Quality cardstock paper for the backing of the favor tag.
- Lollipop Sticks.
- A hot glue gun and glue sticks.
Check out all the products I recommend to DIY your party.
How To Make Cupcake Toppers With Your Cricut
Working In Design Space
Firstly, it’s time to prep for your cut.
- Download or create your own cupcake toppers (typically a PNG or SVG) and open Cricut Design Space.
- Upload the PNG or SVG by clicking “Upload” in the left hand menu.
- Make sure the “Print then Cut” option is checked so you can see the design on the cupcake toppers. Click insert.
- Size your cupcake topper down by pulling on the corner to make it smaller. (I like my cupcake toppers about 2 inches in diameter.)
- Duplicate the tag by right clicking and selecting “duplicate”.
- Under “Fill” in the top menu, select “no fill” in the dropdown menu.
- Change the color of that backing to whatever color you want the backing to be.
- Right click and click “move to back” on the backing.
- Now adjust the backing piece so it’s a bit bigger than the cupcake topper.
- Now duplicate only the backing, so you have one printed cupcake topper, and two backing pieces.
- Select all and duplicate as many times as you can fit on one page.
Printing Your Cupcake Toppers
Secondly, it’s time to print.
- Turn on your Cricut Machine and adjust the paper setting to whatever paper you’re using (I typically select cardstock, unless it’s very thick.)
- In Cricut Design Space, click “Make It”.
- Click on each of your cutting pages to select what size paper you have.
- Click “Continue”.
- Select the “Print then cut” cupcake topper page and click the “Send to Printer” button.
- Select your printer and print.
Cutting your Cupcake Toppers With Your Cricut
Thirdly, cut your favor tags.
- Place your printed cupcake toppers onto your cutting mat.
- Align your mat on the Cricut between the two brackets.
- Press the arrow button on your Cricut to load the mat.
- Press the C button to start cutting.
- When the machine finishes the cut, press the arrow key to unload the mat.
- Carefully peal off your cupcake toppers from the mat and discard of the excess paper.
- Place the paper you’re planning to use for the backing of your cupcake toppers on the mat.
- Repeat steps two through five.
Finishing Your Cupcake Toppers
- Grab one of the printed cupcake toppers and use a heated glue gun to place some glue on the back of the cupcake topper.
- Center the cupcake topper to one of the backing pieces and secure it.
- Grab a lollipop stick and put a tiny bit of glue on one side at the top.
- Place the circle you just glued at the top of the stick.
- Now put a bit of glue on the opposite side of the stick that you just glued on.
- Grab another backing piece, align it with the front, and secure it on the glue.
Want to see this tutorial on video? Watch the tutorial video below or on YouTube.
Examples of Cupcake Toppers Made with a Cricut
Below are a few Cupcake Toppers, for instance, that I’ve made for customers in the past. There are so many options and it’s so much fun! Take a look at a few I have made for past parties that I’ve worked on.
Check out these related articles:
How to Make Favor Tags with Your Cricut
The Best Printer for Digital Party Decorations
Lastly, thank you so much for taking the time to read about How To Make Cupcake Toppers With Your Cricut. I hope this gives you some ideas about how you can use your Cricut to create beautiful DIY party decorations! Tell me below what you thought! I love to help you celebrate life through party decorations and beyond. Above all, I’d love to connect with you. Reach out to me on Instagram and let’s chat, or continue celebrating your life with The Celebration Effect.