You’ve got your editable and printable PDF party invitation and you’re excited to print that baby out. I get excited about party invitations too! In fact, if you’ve watched any of my party decorations tutorial videos, you know I get excited about everything involving party planning and decorating – including invitations. And with all the gorgeous editable invitations out there, you’ll want to know how to do it. So, here’s the steps to learn how to easily edit and print a PDF invitation with Adobe Reader.
Please note, this page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you. For additional information, please see my privacy and disclosures page.
Firstly, there are only 4 steps. Yup, its that easy! The written instructions and a video tutorial are below!
- Save the PDF file to your computer
- Open the File with Adobe Reader
- Personalize with your party details
How to Save Your File
Step one! We can have lots of fun! New Kids on the Block anyone? Let’s continue with the invitations, shall we? The fun won’t start without getting down to editing and printing business.
First, save the file, or invitation, anywhere on computer. Just make sure, for instance, that you can locate the file.
How to Open Your File
Secondly, step two! There’s so much we can do! It’s time to open your PDF file.
Additionally, I recommend you right-click the file name and click Open with Adobe Reader. A word of caution for Mac users, for instance, you will not be able to make edits if you open the file with Preview. Don’t have Adobe Reader? Oh no! Don’t worry, you can grab it here and you’ll be worry-free anytime you need easily edit and print a PDF invitation.
How to Edit your PDF Invitation
Thirdly, step three! It’s just you and me! See what I did there? This is it, the fun part where you get to personalize your party invitation by utilizing the blue shaded boxes.
Therefore, once you have the invitation open you will see blue shaded boxes. The boxes tell you there are editable text fields and act as a guide to show you can type your own text. Please note, the boxes will not print out!
Next, click into the blue shaded boxes and start typing your personal party info. Many editable invitations that I have in my Etsy shop have just four options. Therefore, there are a total of four boxes to personalize :
- Date, Time, Location, Address
- RSVP info
Quick tip! You can make edits, for instance, to the font and size of the invitation content. To reduce, increase, or change the font size on your invitation Click Ctrl + E. Additionally, this will allow you to make spacing changes as well. Next, there’s only one step to go!
How to Print Your PDF Invitation
Next, step four! I can give you more!
There’s no limit to the amount of invitations you can print. Therefore, it’s easy to print your invitation on your home color printer or use a printing service.
Additionally, the fourth step is to make a few tweaks to the paper size, source, and image options. Follow these steps:
- Click on File >Print
- Change the paper size to 5×7
- Now, click on the Advanced tab
- Check the box that says “print as image”
Need more help printing invitations at home? I am always preaching about how it’s not really about your printer that you have to worry about. It’s your paper. You can read all about printing invitations at home here.
Lastly, you are now ready to print. Additionally, you might be wondering what the best cardstock printer is to print these invitations at home. Therefore, I have written a blog called The Best Printer for Heavy Cardstock. It will help walk you through what the best cardstock printer is for printing invitations, as well as, other items for your party.
Troubleshooting Printing Your Editable PDF Invitation
Some people run into issues when printing their editable invitations, so here’s a few tips!
Printing The Invitation Yourself
If you have the correct size paper all ready to go (Read about The Best Paper for Party Decorations here), and know that you have the ability to do borderless printing**, you’re ready to print.
- First, make sure you are in Adobe Acrobat. (i.e. if you emailed it to yourself, don’t open it in your browser to print. Download it and open it in Adobe Acrobat to print from that application.)
- Select File (top left) > Print
- From here, it will likely show your 5 x 7 invitation in the middle of the page. Therefore, you will want to look under Page Size & Handling and check the box that says “Choose Paper Source by PDF Page size“. Then use the radio button to select and select “Actual Size“.
- If you’re having problems with it printing the original content and not the content that you edited, you may need to click on the “Advanced” button and select “Print as Image“.
- If it’s not looking quite right or is getting cut off, you may also need to go into the “Properties” button and select “Borderless Printing“.
** (Don’t think you have borderless printing on your printer? See below on how to convert this to a JPG, and then read my blog, How and Where to Print Digital Invitations.)
Sending or Saving Your Editable Invitation to Be Printed
If you don’t have a printer or just don’t want to print them yourself, you might be planning to save the invitation after you edit it to send to someone else or to an online printer. If that’s the case, here are some pointers.
- First, read my blog about Printing Invitations Online for my favorite places to have invitations printed and then shipped to you.
- Save it as a PDF NOT a JPG by going to File > Save As. (i.e. If you save it as a JPG by clicking, File >Export > JPG – it will NOT save the content you edited.)
- If you need your editable invitation to be in JPG form, first save it as a PDF in the steps listed above Then, visit this Adobe site to covert your PDF to JPG.
In conclusion, I can’t wait to hear about how beautiful your printed invitations from home turn out! Leave a comment or a picture below when you do!
Lastly, thank you so much for taking the time to read about how to edit and print invitations using Adobe Reader! I hope this gives you some ideas about how to easily print beautiful prints and invitations at home! I love to help you celebrate life through party decorations and beyond. Above all, I’d love to connect with you. Reach out to me on Instagram and let’s chat, or continue celebrating your life with The Celebration Effect.